Anyone who has ever tasted barbecue knows that wasting it is not an option. It’s simply too good. One particular barbecue favorite is pulled pork. It has everyone’s mouths watering the moment the smell hits their nose and satisfies event the pickiest of eaters. Many people, however, aren’t able to finish a whole barbecue feast so it’s important to know ways to use leftover pulled pork so you don’t waste a bite.
Pulled pork freezes well and can be mixed with a little barbecue sauce and stored in an airtight container or zip-lock bag. Fortunately, pulled pork also reheats extremely well in the oven if it’s covered and has a little sauce drizzled over it for moisture. While leftover pulled pork alone is delicious, there are times where you may want to use your leftover pulled pork to create something a little bit different.
The following are different ways that you can use leftover pulled pork in various meals:
- Chili – either combine the pulled pork with other meats or simply use it alone. Regardless, the chili will be absolutely delicious.
- Quesadillas – with a little cheddar cheese and pulled pork, create a quesadilla that is crispy and melted to perfection.
- Toppings – use on pizzas, nachos or even calzones. Pulled pork also makes for the perfect potato skin topping. Want something a little more nutritious? Try it on a salad of tart greens (spinach) tossed in vinaigrette and complement it with bacon or other salad toppings.
- Burritos – create a delicious BBQ pork and black bean burritos or a BBQ pork and scrambled egg breakfast burrito to start off your day.
- BBQ Hash – drizzle a few fresh herbs and spices along with cubed potatoes, onions, peppers and a little pulled pork to create a hashed meat n’ potatoes with a little added flair. Try serving with a fried egg to give it an extra kick.
- Tacos – combine pulled pork with onions, lettuce, guacamole and grated cheese into a soft shell taco and enjoy the wonderful combination of flavors.
- Baked beans – pulled pork works great in baked beans and gives a nice flair to the southern specialty.
- Fillings – can be used to fill wontons, dumplings, etc. It makes for a delicious treat.
- Use it to make another comfort food classic- Brunswick stew.
- Spaghetti – mix sautéed onions, garlic and peppers with pulled pork to create a unique spaghetti concoction that is super tasty.
The great thing about BBQ pork is it’s easy to store, easy to reheat and perfectly complements almost any meal. Don’t be afraid to use it in a variety of different recipes, as it will likely improve the taste rather than detract from it.