The outdoor barbecuing market is booming since many people are focused more on entertaining at home. Barbecue combines the American love for true southern food with the idea of convenience. It can be cooked over an open pit, charcoal, gas or electric grill and is perfect for even the pickiest eaters. There is nothing worse, however, than when barbecue goes wrong and you end up with food that is rendered inedible. Nobody wants to chow down on sub-par barbecue, so it’s important to watch out for the common barbecue mistakes.
1. Using wrong equipment: Whether you are using a gas or charcoal grill, it’s important to have the right equipment. While there are many portable grills out there that are good quality products, they may not be the best to cook barbecue on. Regardless if you are cooking for a large group or your immediate family, it’s important to choose the best grill for your needs. Cooking surface is important, and you may even consider getting a grill that provides several different temperature levels in one.
2. Too much charcoal lighter fluid: Charcoal lighter fluid is used frequently to light charcoal, since it can be extremely frustrating to try and light charcoal without it. However, charcoal lighter fluid does have its drawbacks. It can produce really awful odors and cause your meat to taste unsatisfactory. If you must use lighter fluid, spread it evenly over the coals and allow the liquid to soak in completely. Once you light the coals, allow them to burn for at least 30 minutes in order to fully eliminate the foul odor.
3. Disrupting the cooking process: opening the lid to peek at the barbecue too often will let out heat and the smoker will lose its temperature. This will cause your meat to cook even slower or result in undercooked meat that leaves you and your guests at a higher risk of getting food poisoning. Only open the lid when you need to move or turn the meat.
4. Not cleaning: Cleaning the barbecue pit or grill is not a fun task, which is why many people make the mistake of overlooking the importance of it. However, nobody likes to ingest particles from a month old barbecue, so it’s best to make sure it’s totally clean. Not to mention, flare-ups and grease fires can occur when old grease or fat drips from the surface onto the fire source.
5. Overabundance of smoke: When it comes to cooking barbecue, smoking is one of the most popular methods. However, it does come with a downside – dealing with the smoke. Most seasoned barbecue specialists can use a combination of green and seasoned wood, but it’s best for beginners to stick to seasoned wood only. Using green wood tends to make the meat bitter and using it for too long can ruin the meat in a nice barbecue. Seasoned wood gives you the best outcome and will save you from embarrassment.
Barbecue takes time and patience, so don’t rush the process. If you want to create delicious, lip-smacking barbecue for your friends and family, avoid the above mentioned mistakes. Crafting delicious barbecue takes practice, so don’t be discouraged if you make a few mistakes the first few times. Simply learn from your mistakes and you will be producing tasty barbecue in no time.